The 166 F2 was the first true single-seater which Ferrari put on the track according to its production and sport participation programme.It was designed for customers and to allow interchangeability of parts if not whole engines from one version to another. In fact, the official team aimed to take part in the F1 championship which would begin in 1950. The first race it took part in was the Florence GP on 26-9-48.

With a simple, extremely strong chassis and simple but adequate suspensions (the rear axle was rigid) it worked for many years, continuing to do battle even in the F2 biennial (1952-’53) used by Ferrari’s faithful privateers.

Type front, longitudinal 12V 60°
Bore/stroke 60 x 58.8 mm
Unitary displacement 166.25 cc
Total displacement 1995.02 cc
Compression ratio 11 : 1
Maximum power 114 kW (155 hp) at 7000 rpm
Power per litre 78 hp/l
Maximum torque -
Valve actuation single overhead camshaft per bank, two valves per cylinder
Fuel feed three Weber 32 DCF carburettors
Ignition single spark plug per cylinder, two magnetos
Lubrication wet sump
Clutch multi-plate
Frame tubular steel
Front suspension independent, unequal-length wishbones, transverse leaf spring, hydraulic shock absorbers
Rear suspension independent, swing axles, torsion bars, vane-type shock absorbers
Brakes drums
Transmission 5-speed + reverse
Steering worm and sector
Fuel tank capacity 130 litres
Front tyres 5.00 x 16
Rear tyres 6.00 x 16