As was by now routine practice, the engine for the F 1 single-seater, originally a 275, became a 340 thanks to the increase in cylinder capacity from the original 3322 cc to the 4101 cc of the second type. A first engine test on a GP49 type chassis was carried out during the French GP trials, although the cars were not raced.

This version was then only used in a non-championship race – the Nations’ Cup GP in Geneva on 30 July 1950. That is why the 340 does not appear in the official list of Ferrari single-seaters which took part in the F1 world championships, although it was widely used for sports and grand touring cars.

Type front, longitudinal 60° V12
Bore/stroke 80 x 68 mm
Unitary displacement 341.80 cc
Total displacement 4101.66 cc
Compression ratio 12 : 1
Maximum power 246 kW (335 hp) at 7000 rpm
Power per litre 82 hp/l
Maximum torque -
Valve actuation single overhead camshaft per bank, two valves per cylinder
Fuel feed three Weber 42 DCF carburettors
Ignition single spark plug per cylinder, two magnetos
Lubrication dry sump
Clutch multi-plate
Frame tubular steel
Front suspension independent, unequal-length wishbones, lower transverse leaf spring, Houdaille hydraulic shock absorbers
Rear suspension de Dion, lower transverse leaf spring, twin radius arms, Houdaille hydraulic shock absorbers
Brakes drums
Transmission 4-speed + reverse
Steering worm and sector
Fuel tank capacity 195 litres
Front tyres 5.50 x 16
Rear tyres 7.00 x 16