340 F1

As was by now routine practice, the engine for the F 1 single-seater, originally a 275, became a 340 thanks to the increase in cylinder capacity from the original 3322 cc to the 4101 cc of the second type. A first engine test on a GP49 type chassis was carried out during the French GP trials, although the cars were not raced.

This version was then only used in a non-championship race – the Nations’ Cup GP in Geneva on 30 July 1950. That is why the 340 does not appear in the official list of Ferrari single-seaters which took part in the F1 world championships, although it was widely used for sports and grand touring cars.

Alberto Ascari
Piero Taruffi

engine

Type front, longitudinal 60° V12
Bore/stroke 80 x 68 mm
Unitary displacement 341.80 cc
Total displacement 4101.66 cc
Compression ratio 12 : 1
Maximum power 246 kW (335 hp) at 7000 rpm
Power per litre 82 hp/l
Valve actuation single overhead camshaft per bank, two valves per cylinder
Fuel feed three Weber 42 DCF carburettors
Lubrication dry sump
Clutch multi-plate

chassis

Frame tubular steel
Front suspension independent, unequal-length wishbones, lower transverse leaf spring, Houdaille hydraulic shock absorbers
Rear suspension de Dion, lower transverse leaf spring, twin radius arms, Houdaille hydraulic shock absorbers
Brakes drums
Transmission 4-speed + reverse
Steering worm and sector
Fuel tank capacity 195 litres
Front tyres 5.50 x 16
Rear tyres 7.00 x 16