The name of the single-seater prepared for 1957 is made up of the number 8 for the cylinders and 1 for Formula 1, with 0 to create the classic three-figure number. It was an evolution of the D50, completely in the Ferrari style, with a new tubular chassis, a redesigned V 8 engine and traditional bodywork. The first race it ran was the Argentinean GP on 13-1-1957.
A short stroke version of the engine was made. This was only used once, but is sometimes referred to as the standard engine. At the Naples GP the team also tried a rear suspension with independent wheels instead of the De Dion axle.
Ferrari did not win in the season which saw Juan Manuel Fangio take his fifth world championship title. It was a year of transition for the Maranello-based company, which only took a few places on the podium with Musso and Hawthorn.
|Type||front, longitudinal 90° V8|
|Bore/stroke||76 x 68.5 mm|
|Unitary displacement||310.75 cc|
|Total displacement||2485.98 cc|
|Compression ratio||11.5 : 1|
|Maximum power||202 kW (275 hp) at 8400 rpm|
|Power per litre||111 hp/l|
|Valve actuation||twin overhead camshafts per bank, two valves per cylinder|
|Fuel feed||four Solex 40 PII carburettors|
|Front suspension||independent, unequal-length wishbones, coil springs, hydraulic shock absorbers, anti-roll bar|
|Rear suspension||de Dion, upper transverse leaf spring, twin radius arms, Houdaille hydraulic shock absorbers|
|Transmission||5-speed + reverse|
|Steering||worm and sector|
|Fuel tank||capacity 200 litres|
|Front tyres||5.50 x 16|
|Rear tyres||7.00 x 16|