10 Apr 1950
The Pau Grand Prix was held on 10th April 1950, just over a month before the start of the first Formula 1 World Championship. The race was run over a horrendous 110 laps and witnessed a long three way fight between the Talbot, entered and driven by the Frenchman Louis Rosier, the Scuderia Achille Varzi Maserati, in the hands of Juan Manuel Fangio, and the works Ferrari 125 of Luigi Villoresi.
The first to be dropped, just after half distance, was Rosier, who ended up third, while Villoresi and Fangio went on fighting wheel to wheel throught the streets of the city in the south west of France. In the end, the Argentinian driver came out on top, while another works Ferrari finished fourth, in the hands of France’s Raymond Sommer.
The third Maranello car, the Number 2, driven by Alberto Ascari, fared less well. The Milanese driver had to retire after only 10 laps when the rear axle failed.