On 7th February 1960, the Argentinian Grand Prix was held in Buenos Aires, as the opening round of that year’s Formula 1 World Championship. Scuderia Ferrari had entered four 256 F1s, the last front-engined Formula 1 car, already used the previous season and based on the 246 F1, which had taken Mike Hawthorn to the world title in 1958. The drivers were Cliff Allison, Wolfgang von Trips, Phil Hill and the veteran Jose Froilan Gonzalez, in his last championship Grand Prix.
Von Trips, Hill and Allison were on the second row of the grid, in fifth, sixth and seventh places respectively, while Gonzalez started eleventh. All four of them made it to the finish, but only Allison did so in a podium position, making the most of reliability problems that knocked out some of his competitors. The Englishman finished second, over 20 seconds down on Bruce McLaren’s Cooper-Climax. Completing the podium trio was another Cooper, driven by former Ferrari man Trintignant, who, towards the end handed the wheel to Stirling Moss after the latter had been put out of the running just over half distance with broken suspension. Of the other Ferrari men, only Von Trips, in fifth, scored points while Hill was eighth and Gonzalez tenth.